Originally Posted by Sway
But does it taste like its been deep fried? I been looking to get one but not sure yet?
Brother, You asked and I'm telling. Yes it does.
I've Cajun fried hundreds of turkeys over the years and have gone through hundreds of gallons of peanut oil in the process. Here's some first hand facts.
1. It only takes about 45 mins to deep fry a 14lb bird @ 350*F in clean oil.
2. It takes about 30 min's to get peanut oil up to temp depending on the BTU rating of the burner used.
3. Then you have cool down of oil and cleanup. Add 2.5 to 3 hours.
4. Peanut oil is expensive! Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have spent over $100. I'm not going to fry a bird in dirty oil to save money.
On the other hand (Oil less)
1. I spent (can't remember exactly) between $75 and $99 on my rig. It paid for itself the first holiday season I used it in peanut oil savings.
2. Super easy clean up.
3. I would put my oil less bird up against any bird I've ever deep fried.
Just an observation from many years of doing them.
Thanks for asking!