View Single Post
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #158
TravelingJ
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
That's how I've done it. If you use bricks or something as a way to block the direct heat from scorching the thighs you won't have to worry about uneven cooking and having to turn the bird 1/2 way through. If you put coals RIGHT up against the drip pan, they can be kinda close. That's why I've put bricks by the drip pan, THEN coals outside the bricks to block the heat a bit.

I don't put dressing in the bird, but if you do, treat it like if it were in the oven....you'll have to let it cook longer. Make sure you check the temp of the stuffing inside.

I usually just stuff aromatics in the cavity (1 onion halved, 1 orange halved, 1 lemon halved) if I'm not using the cannon.
Got it. Thanks again!

We just watched the Alton Brown show on turkey that we DVR'ed earlier this week. I don't think I learned a single thing, that I hadn't already read on this thread! The show did convince the lil lady to stuff with aromatics, and not dressing. It was pretty awesome to say Altons facts and tid-bits right before he did-so thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote