Being CDO that I am, I decided to take my drum down to bare metal. It took four pads of 80 grit, some wire wheels, and 2 beers:
I didn't like the way the original lip was fitting so I got a new piece of steel and tried again. I took my time and used three c-clamps to work the steel around (using this method)
. I was being impatient so I busted out the brazing torch and heated it up. Cost me another beer. I used 11 bolts all the way around the lip. There's a very small gap in some places. Eh.
My daughter wanted to paint it lime green but at $8 a can and not knowing how much I would need, I opted for high temp BBQ paint and some clear coat.
My BIL is still working on my fire basket. Here is a shot of my make shift fire basket on the old drum. It is the top of a knock off Smokey Joe with a bunch of 3/4" holes. This was originally the fire bowl for my ECB. I used the grate to hold the charcoal off of the bottom. The handle is from the knock off. With a full basket and some wood chunks, I can get 8 - 10 hours.
No food pron. The food disappears too fast once it is out of the smoker for me to snap any pics. I have a ET-732 that I use so no dial thermometer. The last time I used the smoker, it was raining/snowing so I placed the sending unit in a zip lock and place that in a Tupperware container. This is going to stay on the back deck with a cover so no wheels but maybe some handles. Hinged lid mod coming tomorrow once my BIL comes over.