View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Making white likker with sugar and/or yeast is the equivilant of boiling ribs.

The real stuff that tastes like single-malt Scotch was started with malt from sprouted corn, no sugar, no yeast. The old timers took pride in it and made it for quality. The later generations tend to make it for speed and quantity-i.e. profit.

As tpope said, Popcorn's likker wan't anything special at all really- not great, not horrible, about average. Popcorn lived right up the road from me for years, and I've drunk his stuff more than once.

And for what it's worth, having been born and raised and living all my life in the middle of the southern Appalachian illegal liquor-making region, (and having been born into a family that made their share of it in the past,) I've never heard anybody from around here call it "moonshine." It's usually called "white likker" or a lot of the older fellers that made it called it "blockade likker."
Oh trust me I know better. I wasn't about to start describing how to malt your corn and all the secret stuff that goes into a good beer. A simple sugar wash with a little corn meal for flavor will get it done in the kitchen. I was made in TX and born & raised on the W VA side of the line just out side of Bluefield, My Grand daddy (Ma's side) was Maryville TN boy he taught me a thing or three.