View Single Post
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #36
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John I. Que View Post
The key thing is that you have a system that works for you. Every cooker/fuel/chef combintaion makes for a completely different situation. But, the main thing to remember is to not start with much charcoal burning. The Akorn doesn't need but a small handful at any one time. That's why I really like the Ring of Fire method. And it's cool to say!

There's also the stepped startup approach: Set the IQ to 225. If it overshoots, let it stay red for 10-15 minutes. Then set it to 250 or 275 and it should go there without much if any overshoot.
I use a similar stepped approach with my stoker and bubba/big steel keg. I think the key is to anticipate the overshoot and set your initial target temp at least 50* lower than what you really want. I think it's also important to allow the temp to stabilize after it overshoots, then bump your temp up.

I don't suppose you may be coming out with an Ique controller that allows for temp. adjustments smaller than 25*? Most other cookers this is no big deal but in kamado type cookers it could be really helpful.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote