Unread 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
8 parts sugar substitute.

I'd be perfectly content with a rub that has zero sweet, 30% cracked pepper, 20% k salt, 20% gran garlic, 10% gran onion, and 20% mix of hot stuff like cayenne, chipotle/habanero powder, ground chili tepins. Would like to hear from others about this sweet thing in a rub. I get plenty of sweet just from a decently fresh gran garlic.

Don't get me wrong, I love sugar, I love candy, just don't use it when making meat.
Mine isn't too far from this. At the very end, on ribs and sometimes on pork I will add just a tad (and I mean a tad) of turbinado, but mine is something like:

20% black pepper
20% chili powder
20% tony's creole (which is season salt with some garlic and onion in it)
10% spanish paprika
10% hungarian paprika
10% island bbq spice mixture (similar to jerk, but not exactly)
10% mixture of hot, like ground cayenne, ancho, chipotle, red jalapeno

For bbq chicken (cant believe I even typed those two words together) I'll use this straight up. Pork and ribs a tiny amount of turbinado added
at the end, and for beef (chuckie, brisket, etc.) I'll mix in about 2 parts above with another 1 part black pepper (no turbinado).
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote