View Single Post
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yes, it indeed was that great, and it's amazing how an already good result can be topped again and again. I just HAVE to do it again this weekend, the wife demands it!

The next pork shoulder roast is already ordered, hopefully they have a larger piece for me when I pick it up tomorrow.

Interestingly this kind of cut is better suited than the formerly used pork neck without bone without speck, and it's much easier to handle, because I don't have to trim anything at all (I think the money muscle of the pork neck is overrated anyway). I put it on with side A (as seen in the second picture) facing downwards, and side B offers a lot of surface for building up bark and smoke ring. Foiling in apple juice also works very well, specially with the temp bumped up for the HNF finish.

BTW Having tried now a lot of different types of bun for the pulled pork sandwiches, my favorite is my wife's self made pita bread, which adds an extra touch to the finished product. The combination of lemon peppered pork + vinegar based sauce + yogurt based coleslaw + self-made pita bread is just PERFECT, because each part of it reaches 100% on the scale!