View Single Post
Unread 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
DeepSeaCowboy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A quick bump of this thread with another user's perspective. I purchased the Golden Lion (wifi model) a few months ago and have used it 5 or 6 times now on my UDS.

In general, it achieves what i want. If I leave the pit alone and don't open it or mess with the air intakes, this gets the charcoal to the set temperature within 15 or 20 minutes and holds the pit there for as long as my battery holds out (right now I have two batteries that I swap out and charge as I smoke. I am working on stringing them together or getting a new one). It is fairly easy to use and when I checked the probe settings in boiling water they were both within a few degrees of where they should be, altitude adjusted.

My only major complaint would be that the stainless steel enclosure is a touch too small and can't fit the controller with the wifi antenna. I have to remove it to fit it all in and seal it up. I suspect he may have built it without considering the wifi antenna.

I haven't hooked into the wifi yet but will as the snow begins to fall.

Overall this is a great unit for the price. I am relatively electronics/computer capable so it may not be as good an experience for someone who isn't as comfortable. I will try and post pics this weekend.
DeepSeaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->