View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'n Bull View Post
I have a Safe. It has a slide door for air intake. I use a Guru every time I cook and can control my temp at 230 with no water in the pan. I do have a diffuser plate in the firebox below the water pan. Try this Whiskey...check your slide door, it needs to be really tight. If it is loose take a ball peen hammer and lightly hammer the door "track" inside the firebox against the slide door to "pinch" it down to a really snug fit. You almost need to tap mine with something to adjust it from outside. A really snug fit here will greatly improve your ability to control temp. Jmoney is correct on closing down on the exhaust while running the Guru. I close my down to about 20%. With a full load of lump and wood (about 50/50) I can get temp up to and maintain 230 for 14 hours without adding anything. And yes it produces the thin blue smoke from clean combustion. Good luck.
Thanks....for the suggestions. This afternoo I pulled the guru off completely and preheated the safe with a weed burner (which is just fun). I also filled a 5 gallon buckler full of hot water from the bathtub. I made a ring of lump a round the outer edge of the charcoal basket which had chunks of wood as well and started it at the end. We will see how it all works.
WhiskeyPigBbq is offline   Reply With Quote