View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
What exactly was disappointing? Was it too tough? Too salty?
With only steaming for 30 minutes it was too tough, and I didn't really like the flavor profile, coming from a typical pastrami rub recipe. Steaming for hours it was very nice and tender, but kind of bland, as if the flavor from the rub was washed away by the steam. It definitely was not too salty, especially after using way too little curing salt. All in all it was not really the typical brisket, and not anywhere near what you would expect from a pastrami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I usually smoke to 170 then rest a day and then steam to 190. One thing I don't get did you steam it after you sliced it? Looks that way from the pics? Also what did you use for a rub? I only do S&P and coriander.
Yes, I did steam it already sliced up, after I read about someone having succeeded this way, and I have no clue about the temp it reached during steaming.

After dry curing I washed off the curing salt as good as possible, and then I applied the following mixture:
  • 4 tbsp Sal Marina Natural
  • 4 tbsp sweet paprika
  • 3 tbsp coriander
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp white pepper
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
I never used coriander or mustard seeds in a rub before, and I can't really tell I liked it on brisket.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the preparation thread leading up to this cook.