View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Corky View Post
Funny but I like nut woods for pork but not for beef. I like Oak with a touch of mesquite for beef, except prime rib which I do all oak.
I am a bit lost---I thought Oak was a nut wood.
Just kidding--we like the same thing except I use a TOUCH of Mesquite on PR also.

Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I dislike mesquite for smoking, the flavor tastes muddy to me. I prefer oak and/or pecan for beef.
That left coast Mesquite must some weird stuff

Seriously, I think the major bitch with Mesquite overall is that it is a strong flavor and will overpower the meat in a heartbeat if the cook is not careful. When I use it in MODERATION, I think it is an "earthy" flavor. When I have oversmoked with it, it is bitter and tastes like nasty creosote from a poorly managed fire.

This is a pellet thing only, and of little interest to most, but I mix "blended" mesquite pellets into all of my nut and fruit wood pellets. Winds up being 10-20 % which gives me the extra "earthiness" flavor we have grown to love.

Back to your regular scheduled programming

It's all Good Eats.

"Flirtin' with Disaster" BBQ Team (RETIRED)
FBA and KCBS Cook and Judge.
Former owner of a WSM, a Smokey Joe, a Charbroil Commercial gasser (junk), the legendary "StudeDera", a FEC100, a Fast Eddy PG500, and Sherman the Wonder Trailer.
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote