View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
You can look at the open many ways ...I hate it but I respect teams like Ryan's and Shiggin and Grinnin and the teams who had great back to back days....
I was bummed with our 154 in chicken talking to chris lilly is was more bummed with his 143 ribs....actually the judging for our other three categories was probably right on
Our open results were disappointing to us as well. Everyone wants to win. We got 88th in Pork, but we thought it deserved much better. The way I look at it, if our pork was the best at the table and scored well, there were 89 other tables and the scores those tables gave to their top pork entries put us in 88th place.

We thought we had a really strong chicken entry. I thought it would be lucky to get called, but should be top 50 or better, my partner, who competes more than I do, felt it should be in the top 20 and get called. We were both surprised by the actual result, our chicken scored very low. I can't recall where it fell right now and don't want to look it up again, but we basically tanked especially in light of our expectations.

We expected to get hammered on ribs. They weren't the best. Good, great even for some, but not Royal worthy. Plus, we cracked our box while arranging it. We knew we were farked there, and it was our worst showing, in the bottom half.

The brisket scored better than we expected. I thought it was probably going to score towards the middle of the pack and came in 141.

Overall, the chicken and ribs ensured we finished towards the middle of the pack overall, in the 240's. Very disappointing, but again, unless you deliver your A+ game, you have no chance of a call. Even if you do deliver your A+ game, you are lucky to be called.

Phil and Scotty seemed a bit disappointed at one point for only getting one call for 4th place chicken in the Invitational. I was there on site and sampled each entry, and they should easily have been called for more than just chicken. I think it was DivaQ who reminded them how lucky anyone is to get a call at the Royal and how any call at all is something to be very proud of.

It's hard to keep perspective at an event so huge.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->