View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcliff77 View Post
Thank you for this post, i too have this on my "future" cook list. My question is this:

How would i order this cut of meat from my butcher, and 2, how big of a roast would one need to feed 10?
Your butcher should know what a prime rib roast or standing rib roast is. That is the easy part. Each bone represents about 3 servings for normal folks, 2 servings for BBQ XL folks. I tend to order a bone for every two people, thus a 3 bone roast is for 6 people.

Now, I prefer the large end of the rib roast, that is to say, bones 7 through 10, as there is more fat and more of the deckle is attached. The small end is leaner, often with no cap or deckle. Also, most butchers will ask if you want it capped, trimmed, boned etc...I prefer it untrimmed and bone in. For the smoker, that is the best way, as you can determine how much fat to remove. The bones are terrific and worth leaving on, as the meat cooks better. Never let them cap the roast, it takes off the deckle. The biggest ripoff I ever had, ordered a 9 pound roast and the guy comes out, no bone, capped, I refused it, as he charged weight prior to capping. Took off the best piece of meat, then was going to charge me for it and for taking it off!

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->