View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Are you looking for something like this?

The fat was crispy, the meat and fat were meltingly tender. For this cook, here is what I did.

1.I marinaded the pork belly, it is best to score the meat and the fat, but, just scoring the fat worked fine. Then I removed the meat after a 12 hour marinade (or so).

2. I then wiped the meat dry, docked it with a skewer to make sure the fat was punctured to a 1/8" depth, applied a rinse of cider vinegar, making sure to get it into the scoring of the fat. Then applied a light rub of sugar and kosher salt, let this air dry under a fan for 2 hours or so. It must be dry.

3. Into the smoker for 2-3 hours (at 235F), to render it down, then onto a hot grill over a very hot fire. You want the fire to be at least 8" from the meat though. It will caramelize the skin and cause it to almost fry itself.

4. An alternate step, and I have seen this done for Siew Yuk (crispy skin pork) is that the pork is dropped into a searing hot lard coated frying pan. The skin, as it is dry and well punctured, turns to crackling almost instantly.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->