View Single Post
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I think that soul food, although it is an American style of food found all over the country today, has roots in the areas that once held slaves, and once harbored freed slaves. Yeah, it is everywhere today, but there was a migration of that style of cooking. But, it started with the slaves and freedmen.

Like most foods, I like some soul food, and not so much other soul food. But, I appreciate the history of soul food, whether I like it or not.

One of the best things about living in the "melting pot" is the incredible food we get to eat.

CD

You're correct Casey, I don't disagree that the soul food cuisine has deep roots that go back to our dark days of slavery. However, the North had legal slavery a century before it was established in the South:

http://www.slavenorth.com/slavenorth.htm

Therefore, it isn't specific to just the south in that regard. The items on the menu may have been different because of regional crops, but soul food isn't and can't be contained to just a particular region.

With all of that said...I love fried chicken and waffles!!! Haven't thought of the gravy aspect, but will definately be trying it, along with some sunny side eggs right over the top with a splash of Frank's!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote