View Single Post
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Interesting, I have heard of Chicken and Waffles but haven't tried it. I saw on DDD guy tried them and the waffle batter had malted milk in it which according to him left a crust on the waffle to prevent it from getting soggy. I'm going to have to try it...

From Wikipedia.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles
The exact origins of the dish are unknown; there are several versions of its origins.

One version:

"As unusual as it might seem, the marriage of chicken and waffles actually has deep roots. Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron back from France in the 1790s and the combination began appearing in cookbooks shortly thereafter. The pairing was enthusiastically embraced by African Americans in the South. For a people whose cuisine was based almost entirely on the scraps left behind by landowners and plantation families, poultry was a rare delicacy; in a flapjack culture, waffles were similarly exotic. Chicken and waffles for decades has been a special-occasion meal in African American families, often supplying a hearty Sunday morning meal".[2]

Another version:

Some historians believe the dish goes back to the late 19th century, when Southern African-Americans, recently freed from slavery, began migrating to the Northern United States. According to author John T. Edge: "My guess is that it comes from the days when someone would go out in the morning and wring a chicken's neck and fry it for breakfast. Preparing a breakfast bread with whatever meat you have on the hoof, so to speak, comes out of the rural tradition".[1]

Benny's Home Cooked.com notes:

"It is interesting to note that this combination and/or recipe does not appear in Abby Fisher's 1881 cookbook What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking. Mrs. Fisher was a former slave and her book is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African-American. These foods appear (but not together) in Mrs. Porter's 1871 cookbook Mrs. Porter's Southern Cookery Book.[3]