View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilburnjoe View Post
Highway robbery ? Not likely! You may want to stop and consider all the time and labor it takes to prepare a box of smoking wood in 3, 6, and 12 inch pieces. It's a lot of sawing and chopping. Consistent sizes give better burn rates and a superior smoke. Plus figure in the cost of equipment. I find the cost quite reasonable. Comparing the cost of a cord of wood to a box of smoking wood is just plain ignorant!
Not to be disagreeable Brother, but when using a stickburner, buying wood by the cord is the only way to go. And a cord of properly seasoned oak or cherry bought from a reputable wood supplier (or cut from the woods yourself like I do) will do just fine.

I get the idea of buying by the box if you are using a UDS, WSM, Big Green Egg etc. You can do a whole cook on a couple of chunks. However, I hand split my cherry then cut with a chop saw to use in the drum. Same wood, just as good as something I could order online.