View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm actually in the middle of a practice run right now. A couple of things I have noticed so far that i need to adjust:

The brisket- I decided to not use a thermometer at all because I wanted to learn to cook it by feel and not rely on the thermo. I let it go for 8 hours and then started checking it with a toothpick every 30 mins. After 10 hours, the point had no resistance at all but the flat still had some, well compared to the point it did. I went ahead and pulled it and then checked the temp to see how close i was. The point was 215 and the flat was 210. The point was awesome, but the flat was dry. I guess the toothpick test should mainly be done on the flat? cause its gonna feel tough if comparing it to the point. I didn't inject it at all before the cook or foil, just set smoker to 225 and let it ride. Would either of these have helped? and if so whats a good injection?

The Butt- I put it on at 9:00 last night and when i got up at 5:30 this morning the temp was at 175. Only problem is no bark at all. I prepped the butt the same as I always have but compared to cooking in my uds it just doesn't have any bark. Only things I can think of is either A: I filled the water pan up with apple juice, maybe it kept the smoker too moist? or B: I'm cooking at 225, which is a little lower than I do in my UDS.

I have ribs and chicken going right now also. I'm trying a run with everything at 225, but I feel certain the chicken is not gonna like that low of a temp. I normally cook at 250-275 but trying to dial in my ribs and get rid of the jerky like top layer thats been forming lately.

Thanks for all the help again.
ButchB is offline   Reply With Quote