Thread: Getting Cured..
View Single Post
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Get some Cure #1 and you'll be set for most of your needs unless you decide to get into air dried meats and sausages. Those take Cure #2. But for bacon and pastrami, Cure #1 is the way to go. In fact, once you've cured and smoked your own bacon, there ain't no goin' back!

I'm in the Philippines and had to ship my stuff all the way over from the USA. They have cure here, but the local vendors a very lax about labeling. So no way to tell if you are getting #1 or #2. Morton Tender Quick is fine, but expensive when you compare it to buying your own salt and sugar to mix with Cure #1. And it contains Sodium Nitrate (Cure #2) which you really don't need or want in your bacon or meats you cook at a higher temp for eating.

I make my own "curing mix" now, with Salt, Sugar, and Cure #1. Easy to do and a heck of a lot cheaper. Part of that will depend on how much you use and that will depend on if you brine or dry cure. Dry cure does not take so much mix, while a curing brine will take quite a bit more and you'll be going through the Morton pretty darn quick.

Lots of good info on the 'net for recipes. MartinF of Digging Dog Farm has a great calculator he's developing for figuring cure amounts --> here

Bacon Recipe are all over the place but I use this one often -- here

Thanks from:--->