View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-25-12
Location: Boston, MA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Thanks, all, for the posts. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Can I ask why anyone wants to log cooks? The meats done when it's done right?
For me, it's to gauge how well the controller is doing. I nice steady chart means it's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBry View Post
You may consider using some if not all of the HeaterMeter code. The IOIO uses the exact same microcontroller and if you can get it to show up as a serial device to the Android OS, you can just use the HeaterMeter serial protocol to do all your work and just focus on making a kick-butt Android app to record/display it.
Wow, awesome work CapnBry. No way my resulting instructions will be as good as yours. You've even provided a link for every component. I'll be digesting your site for the next few days.

Android development (as I understand it) uses Java instead of C so I won't be able to copy your code without changes but it should still be a big help. I think I remember your posts on the Virtual Weber board. Thanks for the link!

I will copy your example and try to put in an "open lid" timer, although that will come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
PS- The easiest way to get probe in the cooker is by cutting a notch in the rim of the drum. Place probes in meat. Place meat in cooker. Place wires in notch. Shut the lid... much easier than running the probes/wires through grommets or the vent holes.
I didn't like this idea at first but after thinking about I've come around. It also makes it easier to remove a rack when one of the thermometers is in the meat. Do you put anything around the notch to minimize escaping air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
On a side note, i wish you luck and am not trying to deter your project. On pelletheads we have seen many people try to make their own PID device/unique contraption, and the success rate is IMO less than 1%. They come and go and end up spending $100+ on something the doesn't work or works but not how they expected. That's just the realist in me talking. Good luck sir, I will be following this thread also
Thanks for the brace of realism. I'd be skeptical myself except that I've already completed a controller that had more complicated hardware. This one seems easier except (possibly) for the code but I'm a software engineer so I'm confident on that part. Be sure to shoot down any hare-brained ideas I might try. :)
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote