Took everybody's advice and went simple. Rubbed the skin with a sliced garlic clove, then hit it with salt and lemon pepper. Didn't go with a brine.
Couple things I learned:
- I didn't need nearly as much charcoal as I used. I was afraid it wouldn't last, but as a result my temps shot up even with upper and lower vents cracked. Temp for the whole cook were probably close to 400. Still came out great though!
- I found the best way to use the counter-balance was to pull the rod just out of the motor housing (with the chicken already mounted) and let it flop so the heavy side is down. Then attach the counter balance and adjust the travel so the rod rotates smoothly, then put it back in the housing.
Overall it was delicious!! The skin was incredible, I could have just eaten a plate full of skin. Can't wait to play some more!
“If you don’t know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly.”
For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm