View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #10119
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
I'm going to use a homemade mixture of liquid blue Dawn dish soap + vinegar (to eliminate any residue) to wash the inside of the lid tomorrow. After a rinse and a dry, I'm going to give it a wipe down with 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, then season.

I'm no expert at this, but I think after that it should be fine. If I were going to do the inside of the barrel, I'd probably take a sander or angle grinder to it after a wash and rinse, just for reassurance, if anything else.

I'm curious how it works out for you, though. If your red liner is as horrible everyone makes it seem, then a couple of cans would be worth the risk if you're unable to do a long, hot burnout.
Yeah, I live in a pretty dense suburban neighborhood, I don't trust being able to safely (or legally) burn out a drum. That coupled with the dreaded red lining led me to decide to just go for a sandblasting. The drum was free anyway, so it's less painful to pay more for the blasting. I'm on medical leave right now and can't do a lot of work on my drum but I'll be thinking it over for a few weeks from now, thanks for the info.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote