View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Knows what a fatty is.
Join Date: 09-04-12
Location: New Bedford, MA
Default Making my own smoker, couple questions.

I recently got into smoking food on my grill with a small store bought smoke box, now I'm building my own smoker, haha. I got my hands on a small oil barrel (not 55 gallons, maybe 25-30) and decided to use that as the cooker. Then I found a small air compressor that I want to use as a fire box. I want to raise the oil barrel a bit, and connect the air compressor tank to the barrel with some kind of tube, doing a kinda-sorta vertical offset thing.

Here are my questions.

What is the most effective tubing or pipe to transfer heat and smoke to the food? I can mount a pretty wide diamater, dryer vent size probably.

What type of paint should I use for both the inside and outside of the cooker? Also, what kind of paint should I use for the outside of the fire box.

And lastly, what is that insulation called that people sometimes wrap their pipes or entire smokers in?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I attached some photos so people can see what I'm using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ1.jpg (25.8 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0228.jpg (39.6 KB, 738 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0229.jpg (22.5 KB, 736 views)
CustomBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote