View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yeah I know what you mean.

A couple of years ago, I actually posted in this forum and had a team invite me to come and hang with them for a comp, which was awesome!

I have definitely found many competitors to hold things close to the vest, which is completely understandable. If you walk into our camp, we'll show/tell you pretty much anything you want to know. We've shared rubs, sauces, etc. with anyone who asks. It's just who we are I guess. Bottom line, we can lay it all out for you and it doesn't mean that you can produce the same result we do. There's a lot more to scoring well than just recipes.

The other thing I've learned is the time that it takes to properly mentor someone or a whole team can be taxing. At the cooks meeting at every comp I've been to they always ask if there are new teams and then they ask if there are any teams willing to mentor the new teams. I asked my partner why we didn't offer that up and he told me that he did last year (before I joined the team) and it ended up being a real PIA. There were several guys hanging out asking a bazzillion questions and just kind of hovering. It ended up being a BIG distraction to his cook. Especially with smaller teams like ours (we're two people and last year he was solo quite a bit) you have a lot less down time to answer questions. It sure seems like it can be taxing. We try and take advantage of every extra minute we have to just sit and CHILL, especially during turn in morning/day.

Keep on trying. I'd say come and hang with us but we're not near you. We only compete in Indiana, with a few comps in neighboring states just over the border.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote