View Single Post
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #45
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Just for grins, you could dangle a temp probe halfway into the water (not laying on the bottom of the pan) and see how long it takes to heat 3 gallons of water to the point where it stabilizes. You could do this the next few times you smoke.
Once with cold water, once with hot tap water, then once with boiling water.

Just a thought.

Bob
I do actually have a spare probe I could try that with (it's a spare as long as I'm not doing multiple meats), so that's definitely something I could try. And science while drinking and smoking food... Well, I don't see what could go wrong! :-)

TS - thanks! I do have a stoker that I haven't hooked up to the backwoods yet for a few reasons 1) I wanted to get a feel for it without the gadgets, 2) that stuff can be a pain at times (but still worth it in the long run), 3) I haven't gotten the adapters for it yet, and 4) the blower has died (about 3 years of use on the WSM) and I need to have Rock's breathe life back into it.

I think that it would be worthwhile to extended the basket just a little so that lump can be packed it a little better, modify my startup a little, and get the stoker going again. Those things will probably have a fairly significant impact. Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING the backwoods! But just like every grill/smoker there's a learning period.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote