View Single Post
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The brisket has been on for 2hrs 15 mins now. The meat looks good. I've been holding around 240-245* on the smoker, and the internal temp is at 142*.

For the backwoods users out there - this is my second cook on the backwoods. It seems that my charcoal is burning fast. The tray was down to about half capacity at the 2:15 check so I added more. I've now gone through about 1/2 - 2/3 of a 20lb bag of charcoal. The vents are both open only about 1/8 of an inch. Judging by that, I would take it that the smoker is running pretty efficiently and I always had more air than that going into my WSM. Is it just that the standard basket is so small that it appears that I'm burning through more charcoal? That 20 lb bag should easily last through a 10 hour cook and still have enough for another 4-5 hours on the WSM. Is it the start up that burns a lot of charcoal, and it'll settle down once it's at temp for a while? I'd love some insight on this if anyone has the time. I did ribs for my first cook using RO lump, and had identical results. I decided to try standard KBB briquettes for this one since I had it on hand, and figured I could pack more in the tray.

Anyways... some more pron...

ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->