View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #9774
KGNickl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arg1129 View Post
I have been reading page after page of the UDS main thread and other ones and dont have a definitive answer to my question...

I found a food grade barrel for $10, so I thought why not make a UDS. Problem is it had that red liner that seems to be a bear to get out. I burned the barrel twice using ole pallets for over 2 hours each. I washed the barrel after each burn rubbing off as much of that red powder as i could. I did have a light pink in spots about 50% of the barrel but you could see the metal through it. No matter how hard i sanded and used a wire brush I couldn't get it all off. I ended up covering it in two coats of the flat BBQ paint that says it is good to 1200 deg. Does that sound like it is good to use to make food or Is the barrel, and thus my smoker, doomed?

Thanks.
That paint is for the exterior. Your not supposed to spray it on the inside of a grill.

I would just buy a new/refurbished drum or try to find someone to sandblast the inside and outside.

In St. Louis, MO I can get a refurbished drum for about $30 or new for $70.

Sandblasting on the outside for $20-$30. So my guess is $30-$50 for inside and outside. You can usually find someone who does odd jobs on the side on craigslist searching "sand blasting" or "media blasting".

I like to think my time is worth more than the effort of burning and cleaning out a liner in a drum (its dirty, I get sweaty, and have to wear a mask/goggles). I prefer buying an unlined drum and just having the outside sandblasted to give it a nice uniform rough surface for high heat paint to stick to. The drum I used did not have an anti rust coating inside, I touched the inside with my finger and an hour later it had rust forming. I just rinsed it with soap and water (probably didn't need to), sat it in the sun for 10-20 minutes, then sprayed the inside with some Walmart spray canola oil. Then fired it up w/ some wood and charcoal at 350 for 2-3 hours to get the inside seasoned so it won't rust.
KGNickl is offline   Reply With Quote