View Single Post
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #9756
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
I have built 3 uds's. They all came out real well. Dome lids, double cook racks, 15 inch round charcoal baskets, as pans etc.

The first one i built started out as super simple. Drilled 4 intake holes and used sheet magnets to control air intake. That actually works good except i had them stuck directly to the side of the drum and after about 2-3 hours at heat they start loosin their "sticky power".

Ok..insert nipples and weld them in. Prob solved. But now i'm startin to think i want to build me a flat top to play around with and was just "thinkin" about makin the air intake a bit simpler.
i read about bds cookers and how they use some kind of plugs in 8 or 10 holes. Low heat= 1 or 2 plugs open...more heat = more holes open.
what kind of plugs????? Brethren are always talkin about using silicon to seal air leaks...so i did a search on silicon plugs....and found a LOT of co.'s
makin them. they use them in powder coating and electro baking.
withstand 600 degrees F.
Any of u guys (like maybe Norco) have any thoughts on using these plugs?

I can see no reason they would not work :-). it might be nice to have a short slice of pipe to push them into, say take a 6" nipple and cut it into pieces, or ask the HW store to cut you however 1" long slices you wanted :-).
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote