View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks very much guys.

Ron L, this gives me some numbers to play with. And I like the link to the discussion on formulating a Prague Powder Equivalent to Morton Tender Quick.

The published percentages for the MTQ look like:
Salt 79. %, Sugar 20%, Nitrite & Nitrate 0.5 % each
But the discussion in the other forum ended up sweetening the ratio and using the following percentages:
Salt 69.%, Sugar 30%, 1 percent of Nitrite (and replaced Nitrate) to be added by Prague Powder.
The original discussion suggested using pickling salt since it dissolves easily, but any non-iodine salt will work if done by weight. We don't have pickling salt here, which is a fine salt, more akin to table salt in grain size, but without any of the additives. However, sea salt does not have iodine added. So I weighed some of Sea Salt and used it.

I started breaking down the percentages, using 1 pound as my base, but converting to grams so I'd have easier numbers (for me) to work with. What I ended up with is:
Ersatz MTQ Sweet Ratio 69/30/1 (1 pound)

• PP#1 64.0 grams or 3.4 to 3.5 Tablespoons (Tbsp)
  • Salt 253.0 grams or 2 cups 2 Tbsp Sea Salt
  • Sugar 136.0 grams or 2/3 cup 1 Tbsp

I don't actually have a scale that is close enough to weigh this stuff precisely. Or the actual weight of PP#1, but I saw close up photos of it and canning salt. They were similar in size so I used the weight of canning salt for PP#1's weight. I also subtracted the amount of salt in PP#1 from the amount of salt added, based on the residual amount of the 6.25% normally stated for PP#1 nitrite amount.
Tablespoon of PP#1 = ??? Canning Salt weights used as stand in

19.93 grams Salt
1.33 grams Nitrite
So, untested at this point, but I have a rough idea how to formulate my own Morton Tender Quick, but without Nitrates in it, bur rather all Nitrites for my dry cures and sweet pickle brine. Good for items not air dried.

If you see an error in my math or application, please feel free to let me know.

ThirdEye, I am going to keep your guide in mind as I mix my Cure together. Your 24.8 grams (7/8th ounce) of salt to 948 ml (1 quart), so I may be tempted to round up a bit an add 1 ounce of salt per quart (or even liter). Sugar in the 8:2 or 7:3 ratio and the 1/4 ounce or so. I really got off on the pink hammy flavor combined with the smoke so that is my guide. As long as I don't go bonkers, upping the PP#1 in reasonable increments until I get a nice pink consistency is my plan, starting with you suggested amounts.

I will try make a couple with your rule of thumb compared to my Ersatz Sweet MTQ Recipe and see how they come out down the road.