View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Mgmt View Post
In the Philippines, I've been told that a slit throat, slicing through an artery, helps for a quick kill and drains blood faster as the heart is still pumping blood out. I've never witnessed a slaughter in person but have been told this method has been used for centuries.
Back in my younger days when we slaughtered a hog we would shoot them usually just above the eyes in the top of the head and instantly slit the throat to bleed them which is pretty much as you described. As soon as all of the blood was drained (as much as possible) the pig would then be placed in a very large cast iron pot with a fairly large fire built under and around the pot to boil water which helps to remove the hair. After that the hanging and skinning begins. Not for someone with a weak stomach but it was definitely very quick and humane. Prayers and blessings were offered before the kill for the pigs life and also for the food it provided our families. Nothing went to waste.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote