Thanks to this ginormous thread and the wise people on this forum, I was able to complete my UDS this weekend! I made 4 of the 3/4" vents on the bottom, and I left them wide open for the burn in to see how high it would go, and within about an hour and a half, as it approached 600 degrees and reached the upper limit of my Maverick, I decided I had better start shutting it down! I was eventually able to regulate to about 230 for the rest of the night. The Pam sprayed on the inside was seasoned to a perfect black. Now I can't wait to throw a butt our brisket on to smoke!
My grate is 8 inches down from the top, but I want to add another above. I would like to be able to use my original flat lid, but I'm not sure if I can make another grate fit. I have an old Weber lid, but of course it's too small, and I'm not sure if I want to try the mods I've seen so far.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and in turn, to the build of my new smoker!