View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
stepandfetch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 06-28-12
Location: Whitsett, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Second attempt at traditional North Carolina pit firing

So I bought a 9 pound pork shoulder at one of the few butcher shops around here yesterday. I used a rub mainly consisting of paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and no sugar (to avoid bitter bark.) I rubbed the rub in at about 5:00 AM and it took about two hours for the pit to heat up. I used about 90% Shagbark Hickory that I split about 6 months ago. The wood has been seasoned for about a year. The other 10% was mostly red oak. The shoulder went on at 6:45, and it came off after about 8.5 hours. I kept the temperatures bobbing around the 210-220 mark, and often let it fall below 200, just to increase the amount of smokiness in the meat. I used a Lexington-style finishing sauce, which was mostly pepper flakes, brown sugar, a little ketchup, and a lot of cider vinegar. Anyway, the meat was terrific- not too smoky, very juicy, and far more flavorful than my first attempt.
I do not pull pork... in North Carolina, we beat the tar out of our barbecue with a cleaver, and I much prefer the coarse chop over "pulled pork." Not to say that one is better than the other, its just what I prefer.



oh yea, one more thing- thanks for the help Bludog! I will use that rub again for sure.

Without further ado, here are the pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpRhnLVgPM.jpg (45.6 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg phpLkyKj7PM.jpg (33.9 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg phprV3gAAPM.jpg (27.2 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg phpdjbi6XPM.jpg (33.8 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg phpqmoDgAPM.jpg (31.3 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg phprqevMlPM.jpg (47.2 KB, 515 views)

Last edited by stepandfetch; 07-01-2012 at 12:32 AM..
stepandfetch is offline   Reply With Quote