View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Kathy's Smokin'
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hello!

I'm thrilled to see a Vision Kamado thread, I just got one this spring! In Canada the Vision dealer is Canadian Tire and they only sell the Vision Pro, not the Vision Classic. The two smokers are the same size but one of the differences I think is the port for the electric starter in the Pro. I didn't install it so there's that much more room in the charcoal bowl. I used my new smoker for the first time two nights ago in an overnight smoke with an 18# pork shoulder. Was 17 hours and only used about 9# of charcoal which floored me. My cheap COS got 3 to 6 hours of smoking per 16# bag of charcoal depending on the season and weather. I thought the Vision's smoking disc was too small, too, so I put a cookie sheet above the stone resting on the top edge of the firebowl -- under the grill. It was solid and did the trick, I was overjoyed with the finished shoulder. I hear what has been said about the workmanship, some aspects/parts of the kamado look like really good quality (the lips on the upper and lower metal bands that prevent sliding out unlike BGE and Primo), the cover, the calibrated/notched air vents which really help tuning in a temperature, the strength of the stand and just the overall look and feel. What doesn't look as good quality is not all the metal work is precision, I have to pull one of the side table brackets off and bend the metal up a 16th of an inch so the side table can slide into place, I've got three dime-sized outside/body spots where the paint has come off since I brought it home (don't remember anything "getting it") and the metal bands aren't set on as straight/lined-up as they could have been. It's a heck of a lot of kamado for the money, though, with everything you need to smoke already included in the box. I see no need to buy a 'base' accessory to augment my smoker's capability making it good value for the model's base -- not including things like a rib or vertical chicken stand. I'm glad you talked about the charcoal level, Seeker. When you load it up for 15 - 20 hours of smoking do you load up past the highest firebowl holes? I just went up to them on my first smoke with about 35% of a bag of 100% natural low ash hardwood briquettes and found in my 17 hour smoke that I had to top the charcoal up before going to bed. There is still some charcoal left though I haven't checked how much, busy day yesterday. I'd like to be able to load charcoal above the top firebowl holes for a long smoke to get 20 hours, that would be amazing.
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.
I am a success in life because I am loved.
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote