View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
North Is Up
On the road to being a farker

OK. Pictures. Keep a few things in mind. In simplest terms, your internal addresses, whether they be in the 10.0.0.0 or 192.168.100.0 or even 172.16.0.0 range, those cannot be seen on the Internet ever. They are not routable and when you computer needs to go to this web site or any other web site, only the public address of the router is seen. In that manner, there can be millions of users with the same internal address 10.0.0.1, as an example, but when it's on the public Internet, it has to be a unique address or number. Your router's publilc address is a unique number assigned to your little network.

Another important concept on the Internet is ports. Computers transfer data to each other over ports. A web server "listens" and "talks" via port 80. Other ports are used for other kinds of traffic such as file transfers and gaming. We're only concerned with port 80 at this time for the CyberQ Wifi.

I mention these as the background because what we're trying to do with port forwarding is make the CyberQ Wifi available on the public Internet so that you can see it from work or wherever. However, we need to somehow get the non-routable private address (10.0.0.20 in my case) that you have on the CyberQ Wifi and make it public. That's what port forwarding does. A public request comes in from you at work and your router sees that port 80 traffic and forwards it to the CyberQ Wifi to handle.

Let's get started.

1. Get your public IP. That's what you're going use to find your router/CyberQ Wifi on the Internet. Keep this number in mind. Mine public IP is 75.111.xxx.yyy, where I've hidden the x and y values. x and y values could each be up to 255.
to

2. Find out the address of your CyberQ Wifi on your local area network or LAN. You can check the settings on the CyberQ, or you can look at your router and see. On my network, I clicked on LAN on the left and you see the window on the right. My CyberQ Wifi is 10.0.0.20.

3. Now, we have to do port forwarding so that the CyberQ Wifi (10.0.0.20) is visible on the Internet at http://75.111.xxx.yyy (remember that the real numbers will have to be inserted in there in place of the x's and y's.

So, I click on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering on the left side and you see what's there on the right side. I choose HTTP as the service that I want to port forward and I select 10.0.0.20 (the CyberQ Wifi) to be the recipient of any HTTP traffic. HTTP is the same as web traffic is the same as port 80, so your router say web or port 80, but just know that it's the same.

As soon as I click on Add, I'll be able to go to my work computer and type in http://75.111.xxx.yyy and I'll be able to see my CyberQ Wifi. Maybe it would be clearer is it were called "traffic forwarding" instead of port forwarding. When the router receives port 80 traffic (the default port for web traffic), it will forward that traffic to the CyberQ Wifi.

Hope this helps.
North Is Up is offline   Reply With Quote