View Single Post
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
flashflood
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPig View Post
I appreciate you posting this; however, I am obviously completely ignorant to port forwarding. I've been working on this for a week and can still not get it set up right. I've talked with several geeks and they have yet to explain it in an idiots language.

I've got my Guru up and running in Infrastructure with help of some on here. I also set up a static IP on my computer (one of the geeks told me I needed to do this). I thought I set a port forward up correctly, but now I'm lost. Any furthur help would be greatly appreciated. Your info posted is for MACs...I'm running Windows 7. Linksys Router. Also can't quite figure out the MAC address entry your talking about.
Well, I'll give it a shot.

First, the term MAC Address is unfortunate: it has nothing to do with Apple Mac computers, it's an acronym for Media Access Control. For all practical purposes it is synonymous with Ethernet Address. It is typically written as six colon-separated, 2-digit hexadecimal numbers, like 00:1f:c3:08:fd:a9. Every network-capable device on earth has a unique MAC Address. (This is unfortunately not true of IPv4 addresses, which is one of the main reasons networking is so complicated. IPv6 fixes this, but it will probably take 10-20 years plus an act of congress (literally, like they did with analog TV a few years ago) to kill off IPv4.) Anyway... your CyberQ Wifi's MAC Address is the first item on its Wifi setup page.

Second, ports. A computer typically has only one IP address, yet it can have all sorts of different network activity -- mail, web browsing, etc. These are classified into "ports", which are just numbers. For example, the SMTP mail protocol is port 25, secure shell is port 22, and HTTP (the web) is port 80.

The internet is full of spam and viruses and crap, so life would be hell if any 14-year-old with a computer could send anything he wanted to your IP address. To prevent that, your router/modem acts as a firewall and throws away tons of unsolicited internet traffic before it even gets to your computer. One of the simplest forms of internet traffic filtering is by port: you can accept or reject traffic based on the destination port number. For example, if you don't want anyone to be able to connect to your computer via secure shell, you can simply disable port 22.

To enable your cell phone to talk to the CyberQ on your home network, your router has to allow this particular kind of traffic. This is what port forwarding means: you're telling your router, "if you see unsolicited traffic on port 80, instead of throwing it away, forward it to this particular device" -- in our case, the CyberQ.

I can't speak to the specifics of Windows 7 or the Linksys router, but this is the concept behind what you're trying to accomplish.
flashflood is offline   Reply With Quote