View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #9568
Jsirks
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I SO TOTALLY LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Just finished my first UDS this past week and put it to work right away. I got the drum from our local scrap yard for five bucks. Had to burn out the last dregs of glue (used to make Kellogg's cereal boxes), but after a good burn the nasty sand out (a right of passage...) it didn't take long to add the hardware and build the fire box. I actually ripped the expanded metal off the back of my garage door and sewed it together with the copper wire from #12 Romex. The ash pan is an old rusted deep dish pizza pan with holes drilled in the sides for ventilation. The plan was to use it to smoke shoulders for my daughter's graduation open house. I started a bag of KB with a few hickory chunks here and there at 11:00 p.m. on Friday night and put two shoulders on at about 12:30 a.m. (The plan was to give myself enough time to use my BWS if things didn't go right- open house was scheduled for 1:00 p.m. on Sunday.) I went to bed at 3:00 a.m. when I became convinced that the temp wasn't going to budge from 250- put a couple of fatties on for breakfast (a first for me!) By 7:00 a.m. the fatties were done (OH MY LORD!!! I will never light a fire again without throwing one or two on the side!!! World's best kept secret...) Long story short, by midnight on Saturday, I had finished a total of 5 shoulders on the UDS and kept them in my oven wrapped overnight. By the time I shut down, I still had about a third of my fuel left! The pulled pork was incredible, and got rave reviews from our 250+ guests on Sunday. My thanks go to BigMista and all the brethren for your trials and errors, insight, and inspiration! This sight is the happiest place on earth! (well, except for maybe the smoked turkey leg stand at Disney World...)

Jim Sirks
Battle Creek, MI

BWS with offset
UDS (Proud new owner!)

P.S. DEFINITELY don't go with a side mount thermometer! 120 degree difference between it and the grate thermometer I put in "just to check."

Last edited by Jsirks; 06-05-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Jsirks is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->