View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #9554
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
If you are getting some rust inside, just spray with some more Pam and cook on.

I use a turkey thermo that I bought from Wally World for about $5 and have been using it for about 15 months. It is within about 20 degrees of my Maverick.
I also have a cheap side mounted guage that will be very close to my maverick after my uds has been up and running for 2 or 3 hours.

After you have some experience with your gauges verses the maverick you can pretty much know what your smoker is doing. I would just buy another turkey thermo as they are cheap. I used and depended on mine until l bought my Maverick.

One thing about the turkey thermo is that sometimes while cooking, it will get a build-up of crust on it near the tip and will give low readings. I just pull it out and clean it off and put it back in and it comes right back up to the correct temp.

I noticed the meat dripping directly on it a couple of times , which had me questioning if directly under the center of the grate was a good spot for it. I may just pick up another one , I liked being able to check temperature at any point from the center to the sidewall just by sliding it in or out of the fitting , but there was the dripping thing. I think cold weather may have killed my last one, I woke up one morning after a hard freeze and it was pegged all the way to the bottom , and I couldn't get it to move back up , even in boiling water.