Unread 05-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #9500
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityguy View Post
Thanks coewar :)

I've managed to find an old washing machine tub on ebay which I now have in my back yard. Looks like it has the potential to be a great charcoal basket. The only thing though that I think may not be good are the 3 big ridges inside. They stick up about 1.5"-2". Will this affect the burn of the coals or will it be ok? I've added a photo to show you what I mean

Attachment 65222

Its also a lot wider than I imagined it to be. I know people have used them before but I can't help thinking that there will be too much surface area and therefore it will require a hell of a lot of charcoal. The total diameter is 19". Also, how much charcoal would you put into this for a decent burn?

Sorry, that is a lot of questions but I'm so close to finishing I can almost taste those ribs and brisket already

Mike
The tiny holes will keep the ashes from falling out and will reduce the air, putting the fire out.

I have a basket that is 17" dia. x 12 deep. It will hold 20# plus chunks of wood. It will last over 20 hours easy. It heavy to lif and set in place. I have to watch out for my 2" thermometer probes when I set it in.