View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
fatdoggie
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up

Nice work palmtreerfb! That's looking very nice.

I didn't do any coding this weekend, but I did manage to smoke a pork shoulder overnight with the CyberQ this weekend.

Here's my observations:
  • When I first power the unit up with email alarms are enabled, it beeps for a LONG time before it finally shuts up and finishes the startup process. At first I thought something was broken! Maybe the inital beeping shouldn't start until after the SMTP initialization is complete
  • In my BGE, the PID loop worked great. I did lower the proportional bandwidth to 25 degrees just because I wasn't too worried about initial overshoot. The whole cook, it held the temps VERY solid - I think one time I saw a 7 degree swing for a few minutes, but that was probably just a new hunk of lump lighting up. I did not close the damper on the 10CFM fan at all during the cook.
  • I have a bit of an issue with my pit temp showing OPEN *just* long enough to trigger an email alarm and the unit starts beeping an alarm and showing a very high temp for the cook probe on the LCD that requires a keypress to clear. Shortly thereafter, I get another email showing the correct pit temp. Perhaps multiple samples over some interval before triggering an alert is in order if I'm not the only one seeing this?

Overall, I'm very extremely pleased. I checked the temp several times during the night and monitored it very closely the following day with my little toy app and the control was was spot on. I performed no adjustments of the exhaust on my BGE in 18 hours (left the daisy wheel about 1/4 open the whole time). I opened the lid a couple times and had no problems bringing the temp back under control afterwards.

I'm finally going to be able to do overnight smokes AND get a good night's sleep! This is so much better than having a Maverick sitting on the nightstand waking me up in the middle of the night.
fatdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote