THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OutlawSwine

is one Smokin' Farker
I must admit that I'm not a huge chili person, therefore I do not spend much time trying new recipes.

We have a chili cookoff at work in 2 weeks and for some reason I entered it. The prize is 2 days off. :grin:

So......does anyone have a chili recipe that will make all other chili recipes hide in shame? I could really use one because there are some pretty good cooks at the office.

Thanks in advance.

You might be better looking at a chili web site. Biggest problem is they all look great in pics but you can't make or taste all of them so I would take a basic recipe,try it then change it to your liking. Also don't take it seriously have fun and roll with it. Win,lose or draw make it fun.

Yeah, definitely smoke your own meat, and grind your own chili's and cumin. Makes a world of difference IMO. I wish I had a recipe to share. I usually just use what I have.

We talking with beans or without?

Try this - we developed this recipe over a period of time and it's pretty darn amazing and would be well worth entering in any competition. Also, the Red Lion Chili powder is a must - they make great products and grow all the chiles used in their powders so they are super fresh:

Moose & The Missus’ Chili

Makes 8 servings
What you’ll need to get started:
A ceramic or clay pot with cover, OR a large cast iron pot with cover. Cooking chili over a stovetop is a virtual guarantee you will burn your spices, which will cause them to turn bitter. By using a heavy pot and cooking the chili in the oven, you’ll be using gentle heat, which will ensure none of the spices will burn. VERY important!

1.5-2 lbs each beef chuck and pork shoulder, cubed to ½ -1 inch. (You can use all pork or beef if you prefer)
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
1 med white onion
7 cloves garlic
1 whole jalapeno
1 bottle beer, preferably dark
1.5 cups water
4 bay leaves
½ cup Red Lion Competition Chili Powder
10 chile de arbol, stems and seeds removed
1 tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
I chipotle chile + 1 tsp adobo (Make sure it’s of the canned variety)
Salt to taste
Optional: Pinto Beans, rinsed and soaked for 10 mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Blend tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles de arbol in blender until smooth.

3. Brown pork and beef in separate pans, then pour off remaining liquid to reserve for later. Finish browning meat, then deglaze pans with beer.

4. Add browned meat to your cooking pot, then add tomato and beer/liquid mixture along with jalapeno & bay leaves. Cook covered at 350 for one hour. After one hour, add chili powder, and cook for another 1.5 hours, covered. After 1.5 hours, turn oven down to 300 degrees and salt to taste, then add cumin and coriander and cook uncovered for an additional 30 mins. If you want beans in your chili, this final phase would be a good time to add them. Remove jalapeno and bay leaves before serving.

5. Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions or scallions

Here is a recipe I have won with several times.

Chili Recipe
Brown 1.5 lb chuck roast and 1 1lb venison chili meat salt and pepper.
Add:
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
1 tbs Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardts)

@ 1 hrs Add:
2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
5 tsp cumin
[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] tsp msg
1 tbs hot sauce

@ 2 hrs Add:
1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
1 tsp tabasco sauce
[FONT=&quot]½ [/FONT] tsp cayenne pepper (taste first to see if it is hot enough before adding)
1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
Salt to taste watch the salt

@ 3 hrs Add:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] tsp cumin
Salt to taste
Drop 3 chocolate hersey kisses in right before turning

Add more chicken broth or water if it gets to thick anytime during the cook. Make sure you buy the low sodium chicken broth or it will taste too salty.

Continued from the above...I used Big Ron's chili mix so if you're allowed to cheat...

http://www.bigronswebsite.com/BigRonsRub.html

:grin:

I also used Big Rons and I liked it a lot :-D, but spicy did not play with my office or another party :crazy:

I guess you need to know your audience. What won in both places was more like bland tomato soup-go figure.

mofo brisket chili won it for me last year:clap:

Recipe Number: 1131679118
Contributor: Jeff in KC
Rating: 10.00 based on 1 vote Serves: About 10-12
Calories Per Serving: ungodly
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Difficulty:

Ingredients:2 lbs. smoked brisket (chunked, cubed)4 strips cooked bacon (cut up)4 cloves garlic (diced)1 small onion (diced)1 tsp coarse ground black pepper1 tsp ground cumin1 tsp ground ginger1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes1 Tbs seasoning salt3 Tbs chili powder1 Tbs paprika1 Tbs dry mustard1 tsp ground oregano1 can Rotel1 12 oz. can V8 Picante1 small can tomato paste1 12 oz. bottle dark beerCooking Instructions:1. Chunk brisket and place in bottom of a large crock pot2. Dice garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference.3. Fry bacon slices in large skillet until nearly crisp. Chop bacon and retain grease in skillet.4. Put bacon back in skillet along with diced garlic and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent.5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned.7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. I use Fat Tire or Newcastle but any good dark beer will do. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your prefered heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full.9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well.10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows. Serving Suggestions:Try serving over Fritos with shredded cheese on top. You can also add a hotter sauce at the table if desired. Additional Comments:This is one of the best chili recipes I've tried. Anything less (read: without brisket) won't measure up!

Real chili ain't got no beans......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I know, you know, real chili has beans. You are a Yankee aren't you? Please don't tell me you're a transplanted Texan and a Cowboy's fan too!

Now cinnamon on the other hand. Real chili does not have cinnamon, that would just be crazy. :crazy: :p

Here is a recipe I have won with several times.

Chili Recipe
Brown 1.5 lb chuck roast and 1 1lb venison chili meat salt and pepper.
Add:
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
1 tbs Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardts)

@ 1 hrs Add:
2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
5 tsp cumin
[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] tsp msg
1 tbs hot sauce

@ 2 hrs Add:
1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
1 tsp tabasco sauce
[FONT=&quot]½ [/FONT] tsp cayenne pepper (taste first to see if it is hot enough before adding)
1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
Salt to taste watch the salt

@ 3 hrs Add:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] tsp cumin
Salt to taste
Drop 3 chocolate hersey kisses in right before turning

Add more chicken broth or water if it gets to thick anytime during the cook. Make sure you buy the low sodium chicken broth or it will taste too salty.
This sounds like the real stuff!

I know, you know, real chili has beans. You are a Yankee aren't you? Please don't tell me you're a transplanted Texan and a Cowboy's fan too!

Yeah I'm a Yankee but have seen the chili light. And being the biggest Eagles fan on this or any other planet I will let the Cowgirl's fan comment slide...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks so much for the recipes!! I will look over them and figure out which one to use! They all look great.

I take BBQ in the office all the time and people love it. They have high expectations for my chili even though I told them that I don't make it. :sad:

Back