View Single Post
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #9419
Rodsboots
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTJB View Post
I havent tried lump yet but I will on the next smoke to get a feel for it (and because i have 4 bags of royal oak). Using the trader joes hardwood, natural binding briquettes, I have it dialed in to +-5 degrees (usually a +-2 degree) variation with one 1" hole half blocked with a flat magnet and fine tuning with the ball valve. I was going to ask for a auber industries temp controller for Christmas, but after using the drum a few times I cant justify it.
I fired it up for chickens yesterday and reaching temp is not an issue. I brought it up to 410 just to see if it could and I have no doubts that it could get hotter than that to make some pizzas. This thing is great and the only complaint is that the center of the grate is substantially warmer than the edges.
Currently Lump is all I use in my UDS, I have tried KF Blue but get that same gassy taste.. (i use my weed burner to light it). Lump seems to burn longer and less mess. I've used Lump for the past couple of years now. works for me.