View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #69
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
I used lump in my UDS for the first time this past weekend. With one vent open, I couldn't get it lower than 300. Had I not watched carefully, I would have ruined a rack of spares!

When I use briquets, I get a clean 230 with one vent open. Starting with about 10-15 lit briquets, and a full basket of unlit. Briquets work the best.
Be sure to pack the lump tightly, so there is very little air space between pieces. Pack the wood chunks within the lump in the same manner, like jigsaw puzzle. Start with fewer fully lit coals, maybe 8-10. Control oxy with the intake, you might have to close a single intake down to 1/4, but unless there are other oxy leaks, this should work well.

I've never had issues controlling temps with lump in a UDS. The only explanation I can think of is I cooked a freaking lot of food in mine last summer, and it was sealed up like a freaking tank. No air leaks anywhere because of all the BBQ goo built up everywhere.

Right now, I have to put the UDS in the sun just to get the lid off, because all the BBQ gunk is keeping lid from releasing from drum. It's freaking tight!

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->