View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #17
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma
Ok. What ham should I use? Trout, you know me, I live not far from you. Ive been a Virginian my whole life - all Ive ever known is Smithfield hams. When I think of ham, I think salty because thats the way they come. And to be honest I like it that way. My 78 year old dad still has his Pa's old smoke houses. Sadly, he uses them as storage sheds now-a-days. But you know darn well back in the day they saw some serious pork curing!

So, what ham should I buy to double smoke?
I still say go with Cook's if you can get one. I've made four of these ham's. Two with Cook's and two with Smithfield. The Cook's hams turned out much better both times. Make sure you get a bone in ham. The boneless are not worth the time and effort. I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 2 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote