View Single Post
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #9339
Youngsmoke88
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My First UDS build and smoke

So I Started to build my first UDS before discovering this awesome forum. Turns out I should have done a bit more research before I started to acquire my parts. I ended up buying 4 food grade drums from a guy on CL. OPPSSSS ya come to find out you guys talk about this "Dreaded Red Liner" and all 4 of my barrels have it. After a couple attempts at removing it with various methods the best i came up with was an angle grinder with a 36 grit flap disk. I went to town on it for about an hour and it was clean as new. I on the other hand was covered debris. That was basically the hardest part of the build. I burned the outside with a weed burner and a few pallets inside just to be safe. Drilled a few holes for my hardware, welded on some clamps for my lid and ball valve support, painted her with hi temp black. I must say it came together very easy after that liner was out. I couldn't wait too long to test it out so I smoked some bacon wrapped jalapenos and some links. They came out Amazing! So then next day I picked up a 8lb Boston Butt. I kept it pretty simple about 230-240 grill temp for about 81/2 hours. I didn't get the internal temp quite as high as I would have like due to hungry guests. I ended up pulling it of the grill at about 190 let it rest and pulled it by hand. Everyone said it was great but the bone needed a little persuasion to come out so i know it could have used more time. More practice for me. Here are some pics of the goods!

After defeating the red liner

Any reason just to use this

Youngsmoke88 is offline   Reply With Quote