View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What don't you like about yours? And what do you do to make it?

For a basic macaroni and cheese...

I use your basic elbow macaroni, 2 pounds uncooked, and I cook it just under al dente. I believe it will cook and soften some more in the oven or cooker.

I use a cheese sauce, consisting of 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of AP flour to make a roux, blonde and not darker, add 2 cups half & half or 1 cup half & half and 1 cup whole milk. I have even used 2 cups of milk, it doesn't really matter all that much. I then add 1 cup of grated cheese, I use equalish parts of cheddar, gruyere and jack cheese. Melt the cheese in the milk sauce and that is the cheese sauce. I season heavily with black pepper. Enhancements would be to add nutmeg, cardamom or some herbs like parsley and thyme to the roux prior to adding the milk.

I then toss the two elements, pasta and sauce together until well coated, turn into a greased pan (for home or buffet, I use stainless, for catering or parties, I go disposable aluminum). Into cooker for 30 mins. at 350F. Then pull, top with 1 cup crushed Italian herb or Herb butter croutons that have been crushed to a texture about the size of large grained sand. Drizzle with olive oil and back into cooker until bread crumbs are carmelized and edges are dried up a bit.

Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve. A little fresh parsley, fresh ground black pepper, ground nutmeg on top goes a long ways.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->