View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #9307
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS Webber lid mod issues

I have lurked on this sight for many months, and now love my UDS. I am able to hold temps at 180 or 250 for an eternity, with the flat lid with 8 holes in it for exhaust. Thanks to y'all for the insights.

My problem is that I recently found a Webber grill lid and had to bend the rim out to fit on my UDS. I was not happy with the loose fit, so I picked up a length of 5/8 inch flat fireproof gasket from the local fireplace store, and attached it with hi-temp silicone.

I did a chucky on it yesterday and could not get the temps below 280 yikes! It was windy in Wisconsin, but what gives? Interestingly. I blocked all bottom air holes and went in the house, and when I came out hours later it was still going pretty strong. Is the gasket material the wrong tool for the job, and is it just breathing air in. I intend to use a large soup can for an exhaust stack to see if that helps.

I need to do 60 lbs of pork shoulder later this week, and really really need the second grate and the domed lid. Who can offer some sage advice to a greenhorn?

Thanks
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote