View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #9302
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I do notice that when building a UDS and the builder deviates from the tried and true K.I.S.S. method that this is when the trouble starts. I always advise if you possibly can to build a simple K.I.S.S. UDS and then build a second one if you want to experiment. Makes life and cooking so much more fun when your not fighting your cooker. I'm on # 11 and don't have any issues because I follow this.
I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater. I know I could get a cover but since these things stay hot for so long afterwards, I expect it'll get rained on before I can get a cover on. Also, I've been known to grill in the rain.

So the side exhaust is interesting for my needs, and I can imagine the benefits, but I think I'm going to cut a 2" hole in the lid, opposite side form the ball valve intake, and then use a short stack with a threaded cap to seal things up.

So otherwise, I think it'll be a pretty conventional build.
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote