View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #9283
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Howdy all,

Thought I'd add my UDS build to this massive and treasure trove thread.

My barrel is stainless and at least 40 years old. Came out of a chicken soup factory originally. It was handed down to me so I have a bit of the history.

Anyway, here are some before pictures. Until I find a donor weber, I'm going to use the flat lid. Since it'll mostly live outside I was thinking of a vent pipe arrangement. Planning a standard layout otherwise so there will be three 3/4 intakes (one with a valve) but here's my first question about the top vent...

Would one 2" OD vent on the lid suffice? There's no bung hole on the lid, it's smooth, so I was thinking of adding a flange then threading on a pipe (8-12" or so) which I can then thread on a cap to keep it weather tight or just shut it down.

Would anyone advise against this? I've read probably 75% of the posts here and searched too but can't find something specific enough.

Thanks a bunch for any advice.

A 2" pipe will work out fine. I used PVC for my pipe and have had no problems with it. When not in use i use the top off a can of spray paint to keep the wasps and bugs out
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->