View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see what it will look like!

What did you mean by increasing the bracing between the tank and the tubing? A vertical increase? We calculated the heighth of the 2x4 supports in relation to the box/chamber opening. The firebox is recessed 4in below the flooring with the 2x4 supports. I'll tell you what the plan is so far. We are of course going to weld the tank to the 2x4 piping (there are two of these supports). We are also going to take a heavy-duty 5 1/2in bolt and fasten it to the frame inside of each tube. Our grease trap will also be fed through the 2x4 piping to keep it hidden. We are going to be building closed storage space up about 14-16in high (this will be butted up against the back of the chamber and on the smoke stack end). The chamber shouldn't move, roll, or otherwise. What are your thoughts?

Also, we have two axels on the trailer..it's just hard to tell because we only have 2 wheels on it right now. We'll be getting the wheels as soon as we need them (who knows when that will be). If anyone knows where to getem' cheap, let me know!Thought about electric breaks, but we don't think we'll really need them.
Sounds like you will have it braced. It looked like from the inital pictures that the tank was just going to be sitting on the two pieces of 2x4 piping and I assumed it would be welded. Would have been concerned that with the weight of the tank it might just twist it's self off there. With the firebox at the back it should be fine I would think.

I picked up my rims at a swap meet but craigs list and ebay are always nice. If your state requires brakes you might want to check. You may need at least brakes on one axle. MN requires brakes on all trailers that are rated at 3500lbs or more. Nothing like getting pulled over by the state troopers and having them right you for equipment violations. I picked mine up at northerntool online in the clearance section since they are in the process of switching suppliers. Was cheaper than doing electric drum brakes including the hose kit and master cylinder.