Yesterday after I got off work, my plan was to get the holes marked and drilled so this is how it went.
I guessed where the center of each stave was and marked a virticle line on the four middle bands. Then I marked the spot for the hole on each of the verticle lines at half the width of the band, measured not guessed on this step. I started drilling and this is when I discovered again how important the right tool for the right job was. After a quick trip to the hardware store, a 1/8" and 3/16" titanium drill bit the work continued. I started each hole with the smaller bit then i followed behind with the larger bit making sure I only drilled through the metal of the band and not into the wood.
The picture shows the holes marked. I forgot to get a picture after the drilling was done.
Friday morning began with some Xbox with my son before getting started on the barrel. We started sanding around 11. Note to self, next time sand the bands, paint the bands, then sand the wood. I am no Picaso when it comes to painting.
This pic shows my son helping me out with the sanding
This is the barrel and bands sanded ready for paint.
My original plan was to use a bronze colored spray paint for the bands. I ended up buying a quart of Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black and brushed it on. I am happy with the decision, the brush strokes at some petina to the finish.
Here is the barrel with the bands painted and the screws installed.
Tomorrow we will be hitting the wood with the sander again to remove the paint screw ups. Then we will cut the lid, install the hinges, chains, and cooking grate.
More pictures to follow.